Sunday, September 18, 2016

Modern Women

I finally got a chance to see the Women Modernists in New York show at the Portland Museum of Art (PMA),  thanks to my old HS buddy Jonathan and his SO Jennifer who came up from Boston to see the show.  While I have always thought that I had a pretty good handle on modern art history, I was not familiar with 3 of the 4 painters in this show.  I mean anyone who doesn't know who Georgia O'Keeffe is, probably doesn't give a fig about art or pop culture. 

Red Flower Georgia O'Keeffe


I wasn't aware of Stettheimer, Torr or Zorach.  Of the three, Stettheimer is my favorite.

Self Portrait Florine Stettheimer
I loved her colors and how the work really showed her problems with being an woman artist at the turn of the century. 

They also had an exhibit of art featuring animals, which sounds lame, but it was very good.  However there is nothing on the PMA website and I forgot to take a photo of the artist who made this... a glittering buck.


I think that Matt Blackwell must have spent some time in Maine to create the following painting,



Post a Comment