Saturday, November 30, 2013

Always Late for Pink Week

If you know me on Facebook, you'll notice that my profile photo is pink-hued.  The reason for that is my seemingly always late celebration of Pink Week, started by my friend, Sacramento artist and teacher Gioia Fonda, back in 1993 when she was a student at the California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland.  I was reminded of it last week when I was at the Museum of Fine Arts with some friends and we walked into this small exhibit:




As we were walking around, we came face to face with this treasure of the Rennaissance
This painting was stolen in 1975 and recently recovered and is believed to be the first time it has been showing in the US.  You can read all about it here.  What intrigues me about this painting is the Bhudda-like coral necklace the baby Jesus wears.  The background is interesting too in that we see just part of a doorway and part of a shelf it looks like.  The male angel almost looks like he's wearing some kind of fishbowl space helmet!  But also interesting that Piero had both male and female angels in this painting as well.

More later on the Sargeant watercolor exhibit and the exhibit of women photographers from the Middle East!  Stay tuned...
Post a Comment