Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tis the Season

For outdoor theatre - specifically Shakespeare in the park.  I don't think there's anything much better than loading up the picnic basket, throwing in a bottle of wine and heading off to the park to see some of the Bard's work similar to the way it was presented in the day.  No lighting, no set (other than the beauty of the park) and if you come to see Romeo & Juliet presented by the Fenix Theatre Company, no set furniture and modern clothes.  Using an environmental approach to staging R&J, Rob Cameron has done a remarkable job in bringing the young lovers' classic into the modern age.  His actors are sure of their speech and bring the intentions clearly into focus.  It's good, really good.  I urge you to go see it.

Living my motto of helping others with the arts, I always try to do at least one volunteer gig a year.  This year Fenix was the lucky recipient as I shot photos from two nights of final rehearsals.  They're been doing Shakespeare in Deering Oaks Park since 2008, but this is only the second show I've seen them do.  Our first summer here in Portland we caught wind of it, but were so busy with lots of company and lots of exploring, we never made it.  I wasn't going to let that happen last year and we brought a group of friends from my Pilates classes to see MacBeth.  It was a stunner visually and remarkable the way they used the audience as almost co-participants in the show, especially in the banquet scenes.

I thought I'd share a few of the moments that I thought were very good.  Even if  you think you don't like or "understand" Shakespeare, go see this show.  It might just change your mind!





But Wait.... There's More:

I completely forgot to tell you about my latest news - I was shortlisted for the Fremantle International Portrait Prize for 2013!!  Of course who knows how it will fall out from this point, but making the first round is a plume in my cap as I have never entered this Australian Photography Contest before.

And I am working on the images for the 3 Graces for Environmental Awareness project.  Getting rid of the backgrounds has been harder than I thought it would be and far more times consuming.
Post a Comment