Friday, January 18, 2013

Havana Here We Come

Just a little over a week before we take off to Miami and then Havana as part of a cultural exchange through the Santa Fe Photographic Workshops.  When I'm not going over the list in my head of things I need to bring and how to pack the two bags I'm taking - one to be used for the Miami part of the trip and as a carry on and the other for the Cuba stuff - I'm trying to check off the list of things to do before we leave!  You know all about all the work one has to do before feeling ready to leave for a vacation.  Although in this instance, I see it being a working vacation since the focus will be on photography (at least for me).

I did finish the small 4 x 4" piece I promised the Brush Gallery in Lowell MA.  I took one of my dancer photos and transferred it to the canvas and painted in with acrylic paint. 
and here's the side view
I found this transparent (kinda) tape that had dictionary definitions on it that I used on the sides.  I found it at an AC Moore arts & craft store where I was shopping for some silk ivy vines and temp tattoos to use for the 3 Graces for Environmental Awareness photo shoot that I'll do in February.  I figure I need to do as much prop and costume shopping for that as possible before we leave.

Another project was to create something for Constellation Gallery's "Occupy the Gallery" show.  I was thinking of installing a pup tent on the floor and doing a little mini installation, but with the 3 Graces coming up, needed to conserve more time/energy/money.  So I came up with this digital collage that I call "Do You Hear Something?". 
It's 20 x 16", a museum-quality digital C print on metallic paper, mounted on styrene with a wire hot-glued to the back for easy hanging.  It was the first time I had used Adorama for printing and they are spot on with the colors etc. 

I'll probably post from Miami as we have a couple of days there before heading off to Havana.  But once I get there, the posts might be spotty as it's said that internet service even in the tourist hotels isn't that fast or available.  My plan is to work with the photos and write the posts off line, and then when the time is right, post them to the internet.  Hasta la bye bye....


Post a Comment