Wednesday, February 29, 2012

MoPho Forever


The hubby and doggie and I are off on a little trip to the south to visit my Sista in Savannah.  On the way down, we're driving, we crossed this huge bridge and tunnel that crosses the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.  We had driven from southern New Jersey down the Delaware shore just to see this part of the country.  The following is a photo taken with my android cell phone using an app called PaperCam.


While I wouldn't put  this in a show, I do think it goes a step beyond your typical travel photo.  In such the same way that photography is considered a fine art, cell phone photography is as well.

Joe Nalven, one of the moderators for the DigitalFineArts Guild & Yahoo group,  wrote a blog for the San Diego paper about aesthetics and cell phone photography which you can find here

Another luminary in the Digital Art World, Harald Johnson, came up with a great new term for this style of art.... and I thought I'd  share his response from the Digital Fine Art Yahoo group:

"Good blog, Joe, and good conversation-starter here. And I agree with your
changing the branded term "iPhoneography," but I think "cellphoneography" misses
the mark as well. I take pictures with my iPodtouch and my iPad, all using the
same/similar apps, and neither of which is a cellphone. But they are all mobile
devices. Hence, the better term (IMHO): "mobileography". Or: "MoPho" for short.
And Mobileography just rolls off the tongue better, don't you think? And MoPho has all kinds of racy, off-color connotations that make it especially attractive to artists, buyers, and the press. Think Marketing! (!)"

I like the way you think Harald.... it's MoPho for me!



Post a Comment