Monday, February 6, 2012

Art to Acting

Doing a double again after getting back from a wonderful week on the west coast - niece's wedding and visit to family and friends in Sacramento.  Before I left, I auditioned for a few minor roles for Bluebird, a movie written and directed by Lance Edmands (originally from Kennebunk) which was being filmed north of Bangor, Maine.  I got a callback and read for them and then it was time to get on that jet plane.  While I was in San Francisco with my dear friend Kate Maney, I got a call that they really wanted me for a featured extra part. 

I've been doing films off and on since 1996 and I swore that I would never be an extra (or "the meat" as one director called us) again.  But I had to reconsider this time.  Edmands is an up and coming writer/director (Sundance award winner) and I was told they "really" wanted me and would be able to reimburse me for mileage (shoot site was 3.5 hours north of Portland). 

This is his first feature film and he's written a drama that deals with the relationships of people to the landscape and set it in his home state.  How could I not help a young artist realize one of his dreams.  As artists (no matter what genre we work in) I feel we have an obligation to help each other as much as we can.  I certainly did with giving young actors and directors opportunities when I was running my theatre company in Sacramento (Beyond the Proscenium Productions). 

Although the call time was like working in radio news again, I'm glad I did it.  This cast and crew had it going on.  No silly-shallying as I've experienced in other films, but a tight, professionally run ship captained by a young man I think is going to make quite a name for himself and for Maine as a movie-making destination..  

Now, back to visual art.  I'm finishing up a commission piece for Amie and Jamie and I still need to wire a digital collage on canvas for the Belles Lettres exhibit at Altered Esthetics in Minneapolis and get it to Fed Ex by week's end.  I'm so grateful that I can move from genre to genre and work with wonderful people!
Post a Comment