Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Tale of Traveling


Although I was born in Waltham, MA to an apparent family of Irish Travelers, Maine was the place that most firmly and lovingly stuck in my imagination.  Here's the list of places we lived until I was 17 and we moved in the middle of my senior year to Colorado Springs CO:

Hyanis, MA
Somewhere in between when I was under the age of 4
Fryeberg, ME
Cape Neddick, ME
Nashua NH
Chelmsford MA
Tyngsborough MA
N Chelmsford MA
Tyngsborough MA
Dunstable MA
Tyngsborough MA

No, my father was not in the military, but as we liked to say, he did a great disappearing act, leaving my mom with three kids.  I think we were probably moving to dodge creditors when he was around (until I turned 9).  But after that it was always trying to get a better job or a better apartment in a time when divorcees (as they were called then in the early 60's) were looked down upon and discriminated against.  And people wonder why I became a feminist?

After my high school graduation I spent several years ping-ponging between Colorado Springs and Boston - Alston and Cambridge specifically.  Then I lived in Houston TX, Denver, Boulder (too briefly), Greeley (too long) and Manitou Springs before meeting my hubby and then living in Denver with him before we moved to Milwaukee so he could learn how to be a plastic injection mold & die cast die designer from his Dad.  We spent five years there and really enjoyed the cultural scene.

We ended up in California as a default move as we had wanted to go back to Colorado but there was no work in his field.  I was working as a radio/print journalist at the time and I knew the stations HAD to hire more women as that's how I got into the field in the first place in Denver thanks to legal action by NOW since there were no women on the air in Denver in 76.  This meant I had a fairly good shot at getting a gig in a highly competitive field - and I was good at it!

We then managed to live in 7 places in the next 27 years, with our longest stay being 12 years at our last house in Sacramento.  Two of those places ended up just being "waiting rooms" before getting someplace else.

So to the strict Mainers, I am "from away".  But to the romantic Mainers, I tasted my first tang of life by the ocean here at a tender, very impressionable age that has stayed with me for many years now.  That's why I'm gonna proudly call myself a Maniac, defining it to be someone who used to live here and has boomaranged back home.  Yes, I heard the call of the clams of my childhood.



Post a Comment