Thursday, February 24, 2011

Flying High


Not really high, I've just had one bloody mary, but flying enroute to Portland Maine.  We are going out to look at about a dozen houses selected for us by our RE agent out there.  But I did leave town with a clear conscious as yesterday I uploaded the digital files to my printer for my April-May solo show at Luna's Cafe in Sacramento.  I will have a dozen new pieces in it of digital mixed media as well as transfers like the eggplants above and some new abstract acrylic paintings.

Since I'm not on my art-making computer but my laptop, I had to go to Facebook to copy the eggplant transfer from my Ann Tracy Fine Art & Photography page.   It's really a poor copy of the original photo.

But you might be interested to know the process I go through making these transfers.  It takes several days.  First I create the image to be transfered on my computer.  In this case it was a photo of three eggplants shot with my iPod in my kitchen.  I then brought it into Photoshop where I blurred out the background and heightened the color a bit. 

I then print the image on a special transfer substrate.  This then dries for a day.  I then prepare a canvas that has already been stretched onto bars with a light coating of gel medium.  Then I take the substrate and run water over it until the backing comes away from the film. 

Then the tricky part - very carefully placing the very thin film onto the canvas and daubing it lightly with a paper towel as it's still wet.  Then carefully stroking the film to remove air bubbles.  Now we wait another day for it to dry.

I then cost the image with acrylic varnish and let it dry for a few hours.  Then I get to push some paint around.  My palette is dictated by the colors in the image.  Then I paint into the image and one the sides of the canvas.  For this particular piece, I used a 6 x 6" canvas that is about 2 inches deep.  I like these kinds of canvases because they can either hang on the wall or sit upright on a shelf or table.

One of the pieces I will have in the show at Luna's is a true hybrid - very mixed media piece.  I took an abstract painting that I made (called "Hollywood Will Chew You Up") and photographed it.  I then took that digital file and added more digital painting to it as well as another image.

I also came up with a title for the show - Never Can Say: Goodbye.  This has significance for me as it's my swan song to Sacramento.  Although I'm excited by our new adventure in Portland, I'm also sad that I'm leaving so many dear friends in the area.
Post a Comment