Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Work for December

I'm still experimenting with transfers and painting into the canvas that the images are transferred to.  To me it's a great way to combine my love of photography and my love of painting!  Although I will admit to being drawn more to the physicality of the brush upon the canvas. 

One of the folks that come by yesterday to my Holiday Open Studio was long time friend Art Luna, who is offering me a solo show at his cafe in Sacramento in April.  This will be my Farewell to Sacramento Show, as JK and I are moving to Maine in the coming year.  I have a yearning for the clams of my childhood, which might explain why I started doing the Potency of Memory Series.  Here's the latest piece, "The Key to her Dreams"


Although I love color, I think this works better as b/w and the actual key that was glued to the canvas says Dreams.  it's a  6x6" canvas that is about 2" deep.

Then I tried the same technique with some of my black and white photography


This is the same size as the Memory piece.  And then I tried to work a bit larger on a 9x12" canvas


Both pieces are based on the photos that I shot at the Gladding McBean Pottery up in Lincoln.  So now what do you think fair reader?  Would you rather have a B/W photo in just a mat and frame, or do you prefer a transfer onto canvas with a more hand-crafted look?
Post a Comment