Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holiday Greetings

Xmas Tree at the Portland Hotel where I stayed.
If I didn't have any Santa elf duties, I would have been blogging more frequently this month as I note that the last entry was December 12th!  If you're a friend on Facebook, you heard about my whirlwind trip to Portland ME right after directing a 10-min play for Big Idea Theatre's "One Night Stand".

That was such an interesting theatrical experience.  Generally I'll have a script for at least a month before I begin the auditioning and the rehearsal process.  This really compressed the process of me working the script and then me working with the actors to leave the right bread crumbs for them to erally play the parts with honesty.  When that time period is so compressed and the actors are also cast in other plays, it makes for some interesting choices for both actors and directors. 

You playwrights will hate to hear this, but as long as the actor got the gist of the line and spit out the right cues, I was fine with it.  These were all funny, contemporary plays, so it wasn't as if we were messing up the iambic pentameter of the Bard's work!

JK and I had our eye on one house in South Portland which seemed perfect for our specialized needs of living and working in the same environment.  The RE agent looked into it and told us that an offer had been made.  But the day before I got the script for the theatre gig, we get an email from her saying that the offer wasn't any good as their funding had fallen through.  We thought this was sign from the gods.  So the day after the performance I jumped on a plane to Portland to look at it.  We had received the inspection report and there was much to go over with the homeowner.

It was a good thing I went out to look at it because, it was too good to be true.  Can you imagine building a "dormer" addition to your house in Maine, where it does get nippy, and then not run the heat up there?  The addition itself was poorly done and the stairs were not to code and there was no bathroom up there.  I did look at 3 other houses, so the agent would have a better idea of what we are looking for and it gave me more of an opportunity to see which neighborhoods in the city were close enough to downtown & the arts district.  

Now here I sit in Savannah, where the snow flurries are flying in the wind!?!  We're here visiting my sista who has lived here for the past 5 years.  Not only do we get to visit her, but also long-time friends Caren and Bob Ross (from when I was a modern dancer in Colorado Springs in the 70s) in Beaufort, SC and Beth and Brian our good friends (who used to live in Sacramento, but moved to Atlanta about 10 years ago) who just moved to Bluffton, SC.
Post a Comment