Sunday, December 12, 2010

Back to the Boards

Give a big hand to Big Idea Theatre, 1616 Del Paso Blvd in Sacramento.  They decided to do a 24 hour play marathon calling it "The One Night Stand" and I was one of the directors on the project.  It was good to be back in the theatre again, as I have worked in that space in the past. 

This was really a challenge for me as a director, as usually I choose my own scripts and then spend much time getting to know them before even the casting process begins.  For this project, I got the script Fri afternoon, met the other directors at the theatre at 6, held auditions and held a reading with my cast.  That's several months pushed into 4 hours!

The next day, rehearsals for everyone started at 8 am (a difficult start time for most actors and for me especially).  The five directors involved had to share the stage space, so for some of the time we were running the 10 min play out in the courtyard while another cast was on stage.  Add to the mix the fact that I had to share two of my actors with another director.


By the time that we did our tech, the actors had their lines perfectly.  Thanks to Matt Hanf for writing Teddy Knows Too Much and big round of applause to Beth Edwards who played Mom, Ed Gyles Jr. who played Dad and to Jacob Vuksinich who played Billy.  




Billy begins to think that his new Teddy bear is a spy!
Mom tells Dad something is wrong with their son.
Billy tells Teddy that he's going to "accessorize" him for a little trip!
Billy is getting ready to flush after jamming the bear, wrapped in one of his mom's "gags", down the toilet.
Dad discovers Teddy in the toilet, wearing Mom's jewelry.
Dad wants to beat Billy but Mom prevents this.
Mom gives Billy his new "medication".
Post a Comment