Monday, July 19, 2010

Santa Fe Workshop - Part 2

Over the weekend, I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine who is also an artist, albeit a literary one rather than a performing or visual one.  She eagerly asked me how I thought the workshop had impacted my creative work.  With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I told her that I was thinking of setting up a "real" photography studio for portraits - NOT.  I'm happy in my little artist's studio at the back of our lot here at Dragon Hacienda.  At least for now. 

But I got to thinking about how the work I did and the critiques I received have impacted my work.  I know that I'll be a better editorial/PR photographer.  I learned some very good lessons in working with models and materials.  I'm no longer a nude photography "virgin" and that breasts in water are "headlights".  I also learned about myself and other people and our reactions to each others' work.  Like everyone else, I have a tendency to think I'm a terrible artist when I receive criticism.  I also learned to take that little guy in my head, that was telling me I was no good, to sit down and shut up!  I even put some duck tape over his mouth!!!

But one of the main things that I've learned is that I need to be more brutal when editing images.  It was no one else's fault that I was up to 2 AM.  It was my fault because I couldn't make up my mind about a series of shots!  My eye has now become more discerning as to technically what is a good photograph and what might work in one of my collages. 

To this end, before I share any more of the Santa Fe work with you, dear reader, I'm going through the photo shoot I did up at Gladding McBean in Lincoln.  This is a huge commercial pottery that makes big sewer pipes and statues and such.  I'm going to winnow out 6 good black and white shots and perhaps another 6 that I might use for source material for some of my blended collage work.  Then, I'm actually going to delete the rest of them!  This is a big step for me as I want to keep copies of just about everything.

I call this one, "Going in Circles".

Post a Comment