Friday, July 31, 2009

Crazy Creatives?

When you're an artist, it seems as if many times you get that "you're out of your mind" look when trying to describe projects you are working on. Or when you meet someone and they ask you what you do, you reply that you're an artist, but then they ask, what do you do for money. The linkage of money and success in our culture is truly despicable, IMHO. I've started to ask people I meet what their passions are, instead of about what kind of work they do.
In doing some research on my application for the Montalvo residency, I came across this very interesting blog:
http://www.productiveflourishing.com/the-schizophrenia-of-americanism/
I think Charlie, the guy who writes this blog, is very perceptive about how creatives are looked down upon by American society. What do you think?
Post a Comment