Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bacau Theatre Festival Continued...

My wonderful translators Adriana and Justin, not only did they speak wonderful English, but they really made me feel at home in their theatrical family!

Little did I know that the Tuesday TV interview was going to be shot at a Libyan restaurant called Saha and that after the interview, we were invited for a meal.

The Director of the company, Adrian Găzdaru came by before the interview was over and he spoke with the reporter for a while. All the jurors for the festival were there as well as my beautiful translator Adriana. One of the things they kept mentioning was the need for the city to increase funding for the theatre. Although they generally get more funding from public sources than we do at Beyond the Proscenium, times are tough and it’s expensive to produce theatre, especially when paying the actors as they do. The even provide housing for them upstairs in the theatre, which someone told me used to be a hotel before it became the city's theatre.

In this part of the world, one must always respect another’s hospitality, so even thought it was dangerously close to my 4 pm interview and the 5 pm show, our hosts brought out lemon chicken soup, hummus with pita bread, a salad of finely chopped vegetables with grain and Libyan white and rose wines. Then came the lamb, carrots and what seemed like couscous. I had missed the 4 pm interview but Adrian made a few calls and assured me that we could schedule it later. By the time we had finished and left, they were holding the 5 pm curtain for us for Elena Iulia Colan’s section from “Flowers for Algernon” in the same studio theatre downstairs. Colan was representing the National Theatre “Marin Sorescu” in Craiova.

The 6:30 show was “Fuck You, EU.ro.PA! by Nicoleta Esinencu performed by Yuko Fujisawa, a prose pastiche about a young woman dealing with conservative family values, her peers and politics in Romania. This piece included a young man who played an electric guitar on stage as underscoring and emphasizing certain events.

Between the 6:30 and 9 pm shows, we generally went back to the hotel to have some dinner. We were given tickets worth a certain amount that we would use for our meals. One thing that surprised me was that I got used to the fact that no one uses ice in drinks. Even white wine is served at room temperature most of the time. After the 9 pm show ended around 10:30, we’d all go back to the hotel for a glass of wine or beer and some having a desert or a meal if they hadn’t between the shows already. I don’t think I got to bed before at least midnight on any night.

Tuesday’s 9 pm show was Tamara Buciuceanu-Botez, one of Romania’s most revered comic actresses. This 80-year old veteran, who was also a member of the jury, performed scenes from her most famous comedies as well as a few comedic songs. The audience just couldn’t get enough of her and she did one encore piece to a standing ovation. The photo to the left is Ariana (radio reporter), the Great Tamara, me on a bad hari day, Ludmilla and Daria

I was able to have my other translator, Justin take a message to Laura, the reporter for the newspaper requesting that we reschedule the interview for 2 pm the next day, Wednesday. I also was asked for an interview by a radio reporter for the public station in Iaşi. He interviewed me on a break between the shows on Wednesday. He was a very nice man who asked insightful questions about the US, the arts and me. He didn’t have any cards so I gave him one of mine and asked for a link to the interview on the internet.

Post a Comment