Wednesday, October 15, 2008

When Remodeling is Bad

Maybe it's just me, but the past few times I've been to old San Francisco hotels, that I loved for their charm, that have been remodeled in the past few years, I'm always disappointed. Last year it was the venerable St. Francis Hotel on Union Square. The Sheraton bought them out and then remodeled it into a postmodern (or pomo as we wits like to call it) disaster. Don't get me wrong, I like the ultra modern look, but when it's poorly done and without a regard to functionality, it just pisses me off.
OK, OK, I know I get pissed off easily these days without the estrogen load, but sometimes a remodel can be done tastefully with regard to the original style. So we pulled up to the Stanford Court hotel on Nob Hill - scene of many visits when my mom used to come visit me and when my friend Deb used to do PR for the Aspen Music Festival - and the driveway area which is actually part of the 1st floor of the hotel is the same. and the new entry isn't bad, then we walk into the reception area which is sterile and vapid (am I being too subtle here?) No place to sit and wait for folks. Then it opens up into this very badly designed dining room and bar area.
Come to find out Marriott had bought them out. Maybe this is what happens when hotel chains take over old, beautiful hotels - they screw them up. Needless to say we won't be staying there anymore - sigh.
So we check in and go up to our room - which wasn't bad except that you had to look at this horrible carpeting. Me brudder the Atomic Blogger says it's because drunk guests throw up and they want something busy to hide the stains. Maybe he's right, maybe I should have been drunk and I would have appreciated it more.
Post a Comment