Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lives of Women Artists

For anyone who is female and makes art, we know how tough it is, no matter what our family situation or the art at which we got serious about making art. Someone has now made a documentary about it. The NY Times article is here: http://tiny.cc/1Aq23
The painting to the left was one that my mother had since I was a little girl in the 1st grade. We lived in Cape Neddick, Maine at that time and maybe that was critical to me becoming the artist I am today. The painter was a woman named Sandy Lyndahl (I think that's how you spell it) and was one of the things I HAD to have when my mother passed away four years ago. I love it because it's so 50s and it's beautifully done.
I wonder what life was like for her? For myself it's a different story since I only became serious about my visual art-making for the past 6 years or so. Before that I was (and still am) a theatre artist doing just about everything except for set and lighting design.
This is the first time in my life that I've been making art and didn't have to have a day job - I have the time to get serious now. But in a way, I've been lucky in coming to visual art later in life. My financial situation is stable and my Sweet Hubby is a big fan and supporter. I've lived through many crazy emotional situations which have fueled certain pieces. And finally I've matured enough to not go off half-cocked on some things... most of the time.
But of course there is something that I share with all women artists no matter how and when we came to it - we all feel the slings and arrows from not being accepted in the "bigger" art world. We're still all marginalized in one way or another. Thank god for the Guerilla Girls. Check them out here: http://www.guerrillagirls.com/
Post a Comment