Thursday, March 27, 2008

Atlanta Debris

Good to be back home after a lovely visit with my "Sista in Savannah". Yes, I have to put on that southern accent when I talk about her or any excuse really. Needed to learn it when I played Truvy in Steel Magnolias at Garbeau's Dinner Theatre about a million years ago. My "Sista" and I also decided to drive up to Atlanta to visit my good friends Beth & Brian and that I'd fly out of Atlanta instead of Savannah and she'd drive home.
  • Beth had told me that downtown was still a bit of a mess because of the tornado that ripped through downtown the week prior. It was the first tornado that had ever hit that city of tall buildings with glass windows, beginning to get the picture? We had booked rooms at the Westin at Peachtree Plaza right downtown, mostly because I had enough "points" to get a free room. So I called the Westin and was told that everything was fine! Beth told us we might be more comfortable at another small hotel that was new and had gotten great reviews. But did we listen to her? Course not, I was after that free room.
When we got there it was rather like a mini-Beirut with streets blocked, police everywhere, glass crunching underfoot and buildings with great gaping holes where glass had once been. When we finally wind around the detours to drive up to the hotel everyone is very nice, but there's this incessant sound - ah yes, jackhammers. We decide to give it a try and check-in. I'm on a high floor and can still hear glass cracking and the jackhammers, while Sista is on a lower floor and begins to see hunks of glass crack against her windows. Then when she called to get a different room, she was told there was no guarantee that they could give her a room where the window would not fall out!!! Here you see guys working on Easter Sunday repairing damage.
  • Needless to say we moved to the Ellis Hotel, a lovely new place in downtown only 2 blocks away from the Westin and kitty-corner from the Ritz. Folks there were very nice, beds were comfortable, James the bartender was a hoot and a good time was had by all. However, I left my brush-dryer there and still have not heard from the hotel on whether they found it and will send it back to me.
Now back to the running a gallery and making art! If you're in the area, do check out Bill Obernesser's black and white photography show Sat and Sun from noon to 4 pm at Asylum Gallery. We're behind the gray fence at 25th & R Streets in Midtown Sacramento. This is just one of the pieces in the show. And check out Sacramento Magazine's March issue to find another example of his wonderful work.
Post a Comment